History of the School Site
The old infant building that was demolished in 2019.
In 1954 and 1956, two schools were built on the site for a middle school (8-11 year olds) and a first school (5-8 year olds).The two schools remained unchanged for many years. The two schools remained as Infants School and the Junior school until 1978/9 when we became a middle school and first school.
In April 1994 the Infant Department added a Nursery Class and in 1995 the facility for Autistic children.
Three years later in 1998, the Junior Department added their facility for Autistic children.
In 2008, the local authority decided to merge the two schools to form West Blatchington Primary and Nursery School.
In the summer of 2015, the school scooped The Argus Youth in Action Education Awards for 'School of the Year', 'Most Improved School of the Year' and Rachel Simmonds won 'Headteacher of the Year'.
In September 2017, planning permission was approved for a new school for King's School to be built on our field, as well as a new building for West Blatchington which would see the infants, juniors and ASC unit housed in the new building. We were lucky that our school field was extremely large (around 9 times the size of the average primary school!) and so the two schools could be easily accommodated.
In January 2018, work began on the field and the school community was excited to watch the construction of our new home.
In April 2019 we moved into our fantastic, state of the art new building. To find about more about it, please click here: New Building